Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Syria Weekend Getaway

This was my second time to the Syria and sadly to say there is nothing to impress me to go back for the third time. Hubby and I went for the second time because the first time we went on Friday and all the shops were closed! We had exchanged the Syrian pounds for shopping and ended up we only spent on cabbie and food. Since the shops were closed, we went to visit Umayyad mosque and the St.Mary's Greek Orthodox church.

And for the second time, definitely just to look around shops, hoping to get something interesting home.The weather seems hotter than Amman, humid and dirty. Food in Syria are better than Amman, especially the chicken shawarma. The shops mainly selling goods for wedding, like gowns, accessories, flower girl/boy costumes and even you can get the table cloth for wedding here. Let me show you from the pictures.
Chicken shawarma, the skin is crispy. Yummy!
Grilled Chicken. Another yummy food.
Arabic vanila ice cream with pistachio. A great dessert after meal.
Alright, back to history now.
The Umayyad Mosque, also known as the Grand Mosque of Damascus.
 Ladies need to wear this in orde to enter the mosque.
The interior after the entrance.
The mosque hold the Shrine of John the Baptist's head (Or Yahya's for arabic).
People resting inside the mosque, seems like they dont have anything better to do than this. Or this is called holy mens.
St.Mary's Greek Orthodox church.
 The interior of the church. I am glad that they have such a nice church in Islamic country.

Something to share, I felt very sick when I entered the Umayyad mosque. The sick came suddenly and my tummy felt discomfort as well. Once I left the mosque, after 20 minutes, I felt better just like before I enter the mosque. I cannot explained why it happened but something weird experience to me.

No comments: