Monday, December 21, 2009

Petra, Jordan- One of the Seven Wonders of the World

Petra, the legendary lost city carved into the walls of a hidden desert canyon, is the most famous attraction in Jordan. I was not really excited about the trip in the beginning, because I knew I am going to walk a lot until my knees hurt. But after all, I think it is worth to visit Petra once in your lifetime because those carved walls is really marvellous. Being a city girl like me, I have a high regard for it and its really deserves the name being one of the seven wonders of the world.

Basically, if you plan an one day trip to explore the whole Petra, that's gonna be too rush and I pretty sure you are not going to finish the hiking. Unless, you taking those Mercedeez Benz and BMW in Petra. Haha..yeah camels and horses are known as Benz and BMW in Petra~with air conditioned which is the natural wind. By riding those animals, you can save your time and energy and of course a big hole in your pocket too. But in my opinion, you will not able to feel or enjoy the unique of the place if you riding the animals for the whole day in Petra.


We planned 3 days 2 nights for our trip to Petra. The 1st day we walked as much as we could, at least we reached the Treasury and the Roman Theatre. And we went for the Petra night as well, which means we walked to the Treasury again for the second time at night. Petra night is kinda special as they will put small lanterns along the road and lead us to the Treasury. I feel it's quite romantic to walk in dim light with ur partner with the cooling air. Once we reached the Treasury, the staffs will serves us hot tea and 2 performances by them. Nothing much to comment about their performance but I can say that they can prepare something more interesting to us.


On the 2nd day, we entered the Petra from the second gate which is nearer to the Monastery. Since we walked so much on the 1st day, the second day was planned to ride on the donkeys up to the Monastery. Monastery is located up to the hill and to get there you will need to climb on an ancient rock-cut path of about 800 steps. So we rided on the donkeys and the experince was quite scarry. The rocks seems slippery and when I looked down to my left or right, it's high cliff! I am worry that the donkey was too tired and accidentally slipped then I will ended up my body down the cliff. The another thing that worried me was the guardian of my hubby's donkey is only 10 years old kid. He seems that he cant controlled the donkey well and always just let my hubby rides the donkey alone without guarding the donkey. But anyway, we were safe from the trip and we really enjoyed it.

Here are some pictures to show the magnificient place:
Clockwise: Monastery, Treasury at night, our donkeys on the 2nd day and  Treasury in day time and the Siq.

We went to Aqaba after Petra, just to relax and enjoy the Red Sea.


I love holidays very much and will be going to Dead Sea Movenpick Resort to celebrate the coming Christmas!

No comments: